STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3392
RE: S.C.R. No. 35
Honorable Shan S. Tsutsui
President of the Senate
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.C.R. No. 35, S.D. 1, entitled:
"SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE HAWAII TOURISM AUTHORITY TO STUDY THE FEASIBILITY OF DEVELOPING A HOTEL, TRAINING HOTEL, OR OTHER COMMERCIAL RETAIL FACILITY ABOVE THE HAWAII CONVENTION CENTER FACILITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to expand the purpose and use of the Hawaii Convention Center facility.
Specifically, the measure requests the Hawaii Tourism Authority to:
(1) Study the feasibility of developing a hotel, training hotel, or other commercial retail facility above the Hawaii Convention Center facility;
(2) Undertake the feasibility study in conjunction with a baseline study of the current operations of the Hawaii Convention Center to more accurately determine the impact that the development of a hotel, training hotel, or other commercial retail facility may have on the Hawaii Convention Center; and
(3) Report the findings and results of the feasibility study, including any recommendations requiring legislative approval, to the Legislature no later than twenty days prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2013.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Hawaii Tourism Authority.
Your Committee finds that it is vitally important that the State continue to invest in the Hawaii Convention Center so that it may fulfill its intended purpose. Expanded usage of the Hawaii Convention Center facilities would also help to stimulate and diversify the State's economy.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that a certified copy of the Concurrent Resolution is to be transmitted to the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Hawaii Tourism Authority; and
(2) Providing that a certified copy of the Concurrent Resolution is to be transmitted to the Chairperson of the Board of Directors of the Hawaii Tourism Authority.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of S.C.R. No. 35, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends its adoption in the form attached hereto as S.C.R. No. 35, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DAVID Y. IGE, Chair