STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1629-12
RE: S.B. No. 2933
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2933, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO OCEAN SAFETY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require the Department of Land and Natural Resources to adopt and enforce stricter rules and regulations that protect ocean users;
(2) Appropriate moneys for swim zone buoys at Kamaole Beach on Maui; and
(3) Establish the West Maui Ocean Recreation Management Area Advisory Committee to advise the Department of Land and Natural Resources on issues related to the uses and maintenance of state waters within the West Maui ocean recreation management area.
Ocean Tourism Coalition, Kaanapali Kai Charters, Marine and Coastal Zone Advocacy Council, Na Kupuna O Maui, Trilogy Excursions, two members of the Maui County Council, and numerous individuals testified in support of this measure. The Department of Land and Natural Resources provided comments on this measure
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2030, to facilitate further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubtantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2933, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2933, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair