STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2262
RE: S.B. No. 2778
Honorable Shan S. Tsutsui
President of the Senate
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred S.B. No. 2778 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT MAKING AN APPROPRIATION FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to appropriate funds in order to:
(1) Collect and analyze Hawaii-specific early childhood overweight and obesity data to identify children at risk;
(2) Increase awareness of the health implications of early childhood obesity;
(3) Promote best practices through community-based initiatives to improve healthy life choices; and
(4) Establish a task force to develop and recommend legislation related to the prevention of childhood obesity.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Office of the Governor, Hawaii Association for the Education of Young Children, Consumer Family & Youth Alliance, and two individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the American Beverage Association.
Your Committee finds that early childhood is a critical period within which to initiate preventative measures against obesity later in life.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting additional background information in the purpose section;
(2) Establishing a childhood obesity prevention task force; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2778, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2778, S.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
JOSH GREEN, M.D., Chair