STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1135-12
RE: S.B. No. 2778
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred S.B. No. 2778, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT MAKING AN APPROPRIATION FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establishing a childhood obesity prevention task force to develop and recommend legislation relating to the prevention of childhood obesity; and
(2) Appropriating funds for the prevention of childhood obesity and the promotion of early childhood health.
The Governor, Department of Health, Office of Hawaiian Affairs, and Child & Family Service testified in support of this measure. American Beverage Association and American Heart Association testified in support of the intent of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the legislative findings section;
(2) Changing the dissolution date of the childhood obesity prevention task force to December 31, 2012;
(3) Changing the specified uses of the appropriation by:
(A) Including training and technical assistance to childcare providers to promote exercise and nutrition best practices and the advantages of breastfeeding; and
(B) Deleting the establishment of the childhood obesity task force;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2778, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2778, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair