STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2428
RE: S.B. No. 2742
Honorable Shan S. Tsutsui
President of the Senate
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, and Housing, to which was referred S.B. No. 2742 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to designate the Chairperson of the Hawaiian Homes Commission and the Director of the City and County of Honolulu Department of Planning and Permitting, or their designated representatives, as ex officio, voting members representing the Kalaeloa Community Development District on the Hawaii Community Development Authority.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the City and County of Honolulu's Department of Planning and Permitting.
Your Committee finds that the Hawaii Community Development Authority has had difficulty achieving quorum and that the membership should therefore be amended for not only the Kalaeloa Community Development District, but for the entire Authority, to encourage timely decision-making processes.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by deleting its contents and inserting language to:
(1) Add the Director of the City and County of Honolulu Department of Planning and Permitting, Chairperson of the Hawaiian Homes Commission, and a cultural expert appointed by the Governor as members of the Authority in each initial community district;
(2) Remove the Director of Transportation and the two members selected from a list submitted by the Senate President and the Speaker of the House of Representatives from the membership of the Authority representing each initial designated district;
(3) Clarify that the Governor shall appoint three additional county members if an additional district is designated;
(4) Remove the five additional voting members for the Kalaeloa Community Development District from the Authority;
(5) Include a purpose section to accurately reflect the amended provisions of the measure; and
(6) Change the effective date to July 1, 2020, to ensure further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, and Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2742, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2742, S.D. 1, and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, and Housing,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair