STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1303-12
RE: S.B. No. 2678
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources, to which was referred S.B. No. 2678, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HONOULIULI,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Department of Land and Natural Resources to establish a Honouliuli park site project advisory group to develop recommendations to leverage county, state, federal, and private funding for an educational resource center at the Honouliuli site; and
(2) Appropriating funds to accelerate the collection, preservation, and organization of resources related to the World War II internment experience in Hawaii and for deposit into the Hawaii Historic Preservation Special Fund.
The Department of Land and Natural
Resources, Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, Historic Hawaii Foundation, Japanese
Cultural Center of Hawai‘i,
Sites Committee of the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii, and Japanese
American Citizens League-Honolulu Chapter testified in support of this measure.
Your Committee respectfully requests that aside from the financial aspects of this measure, your Committee on Finance, upon referral and consideration of this measure, also consider the composition of the Honouliuli park site project advisory group as it relates to the number of members on the advisory group, and whether the advisory group should comprise members with certain community-interest backgrounds, and how the advisory group should select a chairperson.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the designated uses of the appropriation from accelerating the collection, preservation, and organization of resources related to the World War II internment experience in Hawaii, to funding the Honouliuli park site project advisory group;
(2) Deleting the provision for the deposit of moneys into the Hawaii Historic Preservation Special Fund;
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2678, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2678, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources,
JERRY L. CHANG, Chair