STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1597-12
RE: S.B. No. 2536
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2536, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CLEAN AND SOBER HOMES AND HALFWAY HOUSES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to establish a Clean and Sober Home and Halfway House Task Force to, among other things:
(1) Develop a plan of accountability for clean and sober homes and halfway houses to ensure compliance with occupancy and other requirements;
(2) Conduct an inventory of clean and sober homes statewide, identifying current occupancy levels, and determining compliance with county zoning laws and tax requirements;
(3) Balance community concerns with the needs of individuals requiring clean and sober homes and halfway houses; and
(4) Report to the 2013 Legislature on the scope and nature of the accountability plan for clean and sober homes and halfway houses, the process by which the houses will be monitored, the way in which concerns of the community members are balanced with the concerns of those requiring the support of the homes, and how the homes will be regulated short of direct governmental oversight.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Appropriating an unspecified amount from the general fund to be expended by the Department of Health for the purpose of meeting costs and expenditures for the Clean and Sober Home and Halfway House Task Force and related reports and activities required by the Legislature; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2536, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2536, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair