STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1560-12
RE: S.B. No. 2489
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2489, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE MILITIA,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Expanding the purposes for which the Governor and the Governor's designee may call the National Guard into active service;
(2) Authorizing the Adjutant General to order the National Guard or other militia member into active service for nonemergency purposes that are necessary and attendant to the mission of the Department of Defense; and
(3) Expanding the rights granted to National Guard members by incorporating the rights granted under federal law, including the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, and extending rights that accrue to National Guard members as a result of an order to military duty to National Guard members who are called to state active duty by the Governor.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2012; and
(2) Making a technical, nonsubstantive amendment for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2489, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2489, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair