STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1060-12
RE: S.B. No. 2489
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Public Safety & Military Affairs, to which was referred S.B. No. 2489, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE MILITIA,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establishing an employer income tax credit for taxpayers who maintain employee insurance coverage for National Guard members for the duration of the National Guard members' active duty;
(2) Expanding the powers of the Governor and the Governor's designee in calling the National Guard into active service;
(3) Authorizing the Adjutant General to order the National Guard or other militia member into active service for nonemergency purposes that are necessary and attendant to the Department of Defense mission; and
(4) Expanding the rights granted to National Guard members by incorporating the rights granted under federal law, including the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act and further extending those rights to National Guard members called to active duty by the Governor.
The Department of Defense and Oahu Veterans Council testified in support of this measure. The Hawaii Bankers Association and Hawaii Financial Services Association testified in support of the intent of this measure. The Department of Taxation and the Tax Foundation of Hawaii commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting provisions establishing an employer income tax credit for taxpayers who maintain employee insurance coverage for National Guard members for the duration of the National Guard members' active duty; and
(2) Making a technical, nonsubstantive, amendment for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Public Safety & Military Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2489, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2489, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Economic Revitalization & Business.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Public Safety & Military Affairs,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair