STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1514
RE: S.B. No. 240
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2011
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 240, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PHYSICIAN WORKFORCE ASSESSMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of health care delivery by:
(1) Extending the collection of the physician workforce assessment fee and the life of the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) Special Fund until July 1, 2015;
(2) Directing that an unspecified percentage of the physician workforce assessment fee be used to address communication and implementation of federal health care reform, support and develop the medical home model, and support increases in physician reimbursements; and
(3) Directing JABSOM to submit an annual, rather than biannual, report with an assessment of the physician workforce to the Legislature, State Health Planning and Development Agency, and Hawaii Medical Board.
The Hawaii Medical Association, Hawaii State Rural Health Association, and several concerned individuals supported this measure. The Hawaii Medical Board opposed this measure. The John A. Burns School of Medicine provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Specifying that 100 percent of the physician workforce assessment fee be used to address communication and implementation of federal health care reform, support and develop the medical home model, and support increases in physician reimbursements;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2011; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 240, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 240, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair