STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1274-12
RE: S.B. No. 2318
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 2318, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ADULT GUARDIANSHIP AND PROTECTIVE PROCEEDINGS JURISDICTION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Ensure that only one state has jurisdiction at any one time in adult guardianship cases and protective proceedings;
(2) Specify whether a court has jurisdiction to appoint a guardian or conservator for an incapacitated adult; and
(3) Prioritize which state may proceed with a petition in an adult guardianship or protective proceeding in the case of simultaneous proceedings in more than one state.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Replacing its contents with H.B. No. 2193 H.D. 1, which contains virtually identical substance content; and
(2) Making further technical amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2318, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2318, S.D. 1, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
GILBERT KEITH-AGARAN, Chair