STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1651-12
RE: S.B. No. 2001
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2001, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE PUBLIC LAND TRUST,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to amend the Hawaii State Planning Act to:
(1) Include promoting the development of indigenous renewable energy resources located on public trust land as a source of firm power;
(2) Ensure that the development of indigenous renewable energy resources on public trust land directly benefits native Hawaiians and public beneficiaries of the trust;
(3) Require all public land trust lands to be held in trust for a Native Hawaiian government upon the establishment of such a government; and
(4) Require consultation and public input from the Native Hawaiian community and the general public when developing projects with public land trust lands.
This measure also repeals the Public Land Development Corporation.
The Innovations Development Group testified in opposition to this measure. The Department of Land and Natural Resources, Public Land Development Corporation, General Contractors Association of Hawaii, Building Industry Association of Hawaii, and Windward Ahupua‘a Alliance provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the provision that would ensure that the development of indigenous renewable energy resources on public trust land directly benefits native Hawaiians and the public beneficiaries of the trust as a policy of the State;
(2) Deleting the requirement that all public land trust lands be held in trust for a Native Hawaiian government upon the establishment of such a government;
(3) Deleting the provision repealing the Public Land Development Corporation;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to facilitate further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2001, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2001, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair