STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1256-12
RE: S.B. No. 2001
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred S.B. No. 2001, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE PUBLIC LAND TRUST,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Include promoting the development of indigenous renewable energy resources located on public trust land as a source of firm power; and
(2) Ensure that the development of indigenous renewable energy resources on public trust land directly benefits native Hawaiians and public beneficiaries of the trust.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adding a provision that requires all public land trust lands to be held in trust for a Native Hawaiian government upon the establishment of such a government;
(2) Adding a provision that requires consultation and public input from the Native Hawaiian community and the general public when developing projects with public land trust lands;
(3) Adding the contents of H.B. No. 2156 (2012), which repeals Chapter 171C, Hawaii Revised Statutes, relating to the Public Land Development Corporation; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2001, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2001, S.D. 1, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Hawaiian Affairs,
FAYE HANOHANO, Chair