STAND. COM. REP. NO. 240
RE: S.B. No. 145
Honorable Shan S. Tsutsui
President of the Senate
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2011
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Agriculture and Water, Land, and Housing, to which was referred S.B. No. 145 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO IRRIGATION,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Authorize the Director of Finance to issue general obligation bonds in the sum of $400,000 to be deposited into the Irrigation Repair and Maintenance Special Fund; and
(2) Appropriate $400,000 out of the Irrigation Repair and Maintenance Special Fund to fund the repair and maintenance of various irrigations systems and for additional personnel for the Department of Agriculture.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Agriculture; the Department of Land and Natural Resources; the Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation; Monsanto Hawaii; the Hawaii Agriculture Research Center; the Kunia Water Cooperative; the Hawaii Cattlemen's Council; Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.; the Hawaii Crop Improvement Association; and Syngenta Hawaii.
Your Committees find that to ensure that Hawaii's crops continue to receive a steady and dependable supply of water, sufficient funding is needed to repair and maintain Hawaii's irrigation systems.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Increasing the amount of general obligations bonds the Director of Finance shall be authorized to issue for fiscal year 2011-2012 from $400,000 to $9,960,000 and appropriating the same sum directly for capital improvements to specific irrigation systems rather than to be deposited into and appropriated out of the Irrigation Repair and Maintenance Special Fund;
(2) Authorizing the Director of Finance to issue general obligation bonds for fiscal year 2012-2013 in the sum of $9,900,000 and appropriating the same sum for capital improvements to specific irrigation systems;
(3) Removing funding for the East Kauai Irrigation System, the Waimea Irrigation System, the Agricultural Water Use Plan, the Engineer VI (SR-28) position, the conversion of an existing Clerk-Typist II temporary position to a new Clerk-Typist III position (SR-13), and the creation of a Mobile Disaster Emergency Response Team;
(4) Adding the Waiahole, Ka‘u, Kekaha Ditch, and Kahuku Agricultural Park irrigation systems to the list of irrigation systems to undergo repair and maintenance with the funds appropriated under this measure; and
(5) Specifying the amounts of funds appropriated to each irrigation system for fiscal year 2011-2012 and fiscal year 2012-2013.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Agriculture and Water, Land, and Housing that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 145, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 145, S.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Agriculture and Water, Land, and Housing,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair
CLARENCE K. NISHIHARA, Chair