STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1180
RE: S.B. No. 1360
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2011
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services, to which was referred S.B. No. 1360, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO COMMUNITY CARE FOSTER FAMILY HOMES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to provide quality care for the elderly and disabled by amending the definition of "community care foster family home" to include the requirements that the primary caregiver must be a certified nurse aide and the substitute caregiver must be a nurse aide for community care foster family homes approved for a maximum of three clients.
The Filipino Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii, Adult Foster Homecare Association of Hawaii, Alliance of Residential Care Administrators, National Federation of Filipino American Associations Region XII, Lou's Quality Home Health Care Services, LLC, The Primary Care Providers, and numerous concerned individuals testified in support of this bill. The Department of Human Services (DHS) and a concerned individual opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Requiring certified nurse aides to receive a minimum of 24 hours of continuing education every two years and nurse aides to receive a minimum of 16 hours of continuing education every two years;
(2) Requiring community care foster family homes to be certified and in operation for a year prior to being certified for a third client;
(3) Requiring reimbursement for reason of parity for Medicaid beneficiaries categorized in the same or equivalent level of care, living in a community-based facility, whether a licensed community care foster family home or licensed adult residential care home;
(4) Requiring community care foster family homes to ensure the following are current and made available for inspection by DHS and clients:
(A) A certificate of approval for the community care foster family home;
(B) Licenses for case managers and a list of case managers' names;
(C) Certifications for certified nurse aides; and
(D) Certifications for nurse aides if applicable;
(5) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1360, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1360, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair