STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1568
RE: S.B. No. 1219
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2011
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 1219, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE LANAI WATERSHED,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to protect the sources of freshwater on the island of Lanai by requiring:
(1) Funding for Lanaihale Watershed Management Plan be provided from private sources and available federal sources; and
(2) The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) to control and manage the implementation of the plan.
DLNR, Hawaiian Electric Company, and Maui Electric Company supported this bill.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Including the assessment and monitoring of the nearshore marine environment as part of the Lanaihale Watershed Management Plan;
(2) Specifying that the Lanaihale Watershed Management Plan is part of the Natural Area Reserves and Watershed Management (LNR 407) program;
(3) Requiring state funds for the Lanaihale Watershed Management Plan have a one-to-three, state-to-private funds match;
(4) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1219, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1219, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair