STAND. COM. REP. NO. 615-12
RE: H.B. No. 2873
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Economic Revitalization & Business and Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 2873 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL SPACE CENTER FOR EXPLORATION SYSTEMS,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Transferring PISCES from the University of Hawaii to the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism's Office of Aerospace Development;
(2) Establishing a PISCES board of directors; and
(3) Appropriating funds and authorizing general obligation bonds to construct the Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems Aerospace Research Technology Park project.
The County of Hawaii Department of Research and Development; Northern Centre for Advanced Technology, Inc.; W.H. Shipman, Ltd.; Pacific Science Association; Zeta Corporation; the South African Space Resources Association; Hawaii Aerospace Advisory Committee; Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems; Skycorp Incorporated; Google Lunar X PRIZE; Flexure Engineering; JAMSS America, Inc.; Kelso Aerospace Consulting; Honeybee Robotics Spacecraft Mechanisms Corporation; and numerous individuals testified in support of this measure. The Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism and University of Hawaii System testified in support of the intent of this measure. The Department of Human Resources Development, NASA, Enterprise Honolulu, International Ventures, White Label Space Foundation, and several individuals provided comments on this measure.
Your Committees have amended this measure by, among other things:
(1) Adding new language to strengthen the preamble;
(2) Removing all amendments to the powers and duties of the Director of the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism;
(3) Adding a new section to specify the powers and duties of the Executive Director of Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems;
(4) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2112, for the purpose of facilitating further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Economic Revitalization & Business and Higher Education that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2873, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2873, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Economic Revitalization & Business and Higher Education,
SCOTT NISHIMOTO, Chair
ANGUS L.K. McKELVEY, Chair