STAND. COM. REP. NO. 284
RE: H.B. No. 277
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2011
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Public Safety & Military Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 277 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO MILITARY AFFAIRS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to:
(1) Designate a nonprofit corporation as the state liaison in matters relating to the military, and to provide oversight for the military's presence in Hawaii and the impact that defense spending has on Hawaii's economy; and
(2) Establish the Military Affairs Liaison Trust Fund as a separate fund of the nonprofit corporation to support the nonprofit corporation in its duties as the state liaison in matters relating to the military.
The Department of Defense (DOD) and The Chamber of
Commerce (COC) supported this measure with amendments. The Department of
Budget and Finance provided comments.
In consideration of the amendments provided by DOD and COC in their testimony, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adding language that allows DOD, with the Governor's concurrence, to select the nonprofit corporation that shall serve as the state liaison in matters relating to the military;
(2) Omitting language that makes references to a Military Affairs Liaison Trust Fund Coalition and its establishment; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Public Safety & Military Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 277, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 277, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Public Safety & Military Affairs,
HENRY J. C. AQUINO, Chair