STAND. COM. REP. NO. 918-12
RE: H.B. No. 2760
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 2760, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TRAFFIC SAFETY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Prohibiting mopeds from driving in a bicycle lane and bicycle path; and
(2) Requiring the posting of signs prohibiting mopeds to be placed along bicycle lanes.
Maui Bicycle Alliance; Kauai Path, Inc.; Hawaii Bicycling League; and a concerned individual supported this measure. The Department of Transportation and four members of the County of Maui County Council provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting language that prohibits the use of a mobile electronic device while operating a motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle and providing penalties;
(2) Changing its effective date to January 7, 2059, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2760, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2760, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
GILBERT KEITH-AGARAN, Chair