STAND. COM. REP. NO. 640-12
RE: H.B. No. 2600
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 2600 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Updates the list of controlled substances under the designation of Schedule I and Schedule II controlled substances; and
(2) Requires a separate registration for each principal place of business or professional practice that recommends the medical use of marijuana.
The Department of Public Safety and several concerned individuals testified in support of this measure. The American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii, Big Island Chapter of Americans for Safe Access, the Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, Global H.O.P.E, Religion of Jesus Church, Maui County Citizens For Democracy In Action, Community Alliance on Prisons, and numerous concerned individuals testified in opposition to this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the provision that requires a separate registration for each principal place of business or professional practice that recommends the medical use of marijuana;
(2) Changing the effective date to January 7, 2059, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2600, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2600, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
GILBERT KEITH-AGARAN, Chair