STAND. COM. REP. NO. 874-12
RE: H.B. No. 1724
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1724 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to require the Department of Human Services to:
(1) Provide Medicaid presumptive eligibility to patients who meet specified income and medical eligibility requirements and have been waitlisted for long-term care;
(2) Conduct a study of a computerized Medicaid applications system to address inefficiencies and other problems associated with processing Medicaid applications; and
(3) Submit annual reports to the Legislature for the next five years regarding costs and other issues related to Medicaid presumptive eligibility.
This measure also appropriates funds to cover the costs of any reimbursements made to providers or plans for services that are provided during the time waitlisted patients are enrolled but are eventually determined to be ineligible.
The Policy Advisory Board for Elder Affairs, Kaiser Permanente Hawaii, Hawaii Disability Rights Center, and Healthcare Association of Hawaii supported the measure. The Department of Human Services opposed the measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation figure to an unspecified dollar amount;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2030, to promote further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1724, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1724, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair