STAND. COM. REP. NO. 832
RE: H.B. No. 1617
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2011
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1617, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PUBLIC LANDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to assist Hawaii's visitor industry and provide a means of infrastructure improvements to public lands while protecting State interests by, among other things:
(1) Providing for an extension of leases of public lands for commercial, hotel, resort, or industrial use to a maximum of 55 years if substantial improvements are made to the demised premises;
(2) Requiring that the plans and specifications for the total development being proposed be submitted to the Board of Land and Natural Resources (BLNR) for review prior to a development agreement being entered into; and
(3) Prohibiting the commencement of construction until a sufficient bond conditioned upon the full and faithful performance of all the terms and conditions of the development agreement has been filed with BLNR.
The Hawaii Tourism Authority supported this bill. The Department of Land and Natural Resources opposed this bill. A concerned individual provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030 to promote further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1617, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1617, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair