TWENTY-SIXTH LEGISLATURE, 2012
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
MAKING AN APPROPRIATION FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD HEALTH.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. (a) There is established a childhood obesity prevention task force to develop and recommend legislation related to the prevention of childhood obesity.
(b) The task force shall be composed of:
(1) The director of finance, or the director's designee;
(2) The director of commerce and consumer affairs, or the director's designee;
(3) The superintendent of education, or the superintendent's designee;
(4) The director of health, or the director's designee;
(5) The director of human services, or the director's designee;
(6) The director of taxation, or the director's designee;
(7) A representative from the department of the attorney general;
(8) A representative from the state advisory council on early childhood education and care;
(9) A representative from the board of education;
(10) A representative from the department of the attorney general;
(11) A representative from the University of Hawaii's department of public health sciences;
(12) A representative from the University of Hawaii's John A. Burns school of medicine;
(13) A representative from the American Heart Association;
(14) A representative from the American Cancer Association;
(15) A representative from the American Diabetes Association;
(16) A representative from the Hawaii Association for the Education of Young Children;
(17) A representative from the house of representatives;
(18) A representative from the senate; and
(19) A representative selected by the governor.
(c) The director of health shall serve as the chairperson or may designate a chairperson and vice-chair person.
(d) The childhood obesity prevention task force shall:
(1) Assemble accurate research, fiscal and demographic information, and justification to support policy development, and track outcomes; and
(2) Research other state, county, and organizational policy agendas and suggested best practices related to childhood obesity prevention policies.
(e) The task force may create subcommittees for the purpose of developing policy recommendations.
(f) The task force shall meet at least monthly from July through November 2012.
(g) The task force shall be administratively attached to the department of health.
(h) Members of the task force shall not receive compensation for their services but shall be reimbursed for necessary expenses, including travel expenses, incurred in the performance of their duties under this Act.
(i) The task force shall report its findings and recommendations, including proposed legislation, to the legislature no later than twenty days prior to the convening of the 2013 regular session, and shall be dissolved on December 31, 2012.
SECTION 2. There is appropriated out of the general revenues of the State of Hawaii the sum of $ or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2012-2013 to:
(1) Collect and analyze Hawaii-specific early childhood obesity data to identify children at risk;
(2) Increase awareness of the health implications of early childhood obesity; and
(3) Promote best practices through community-based initiatives to improve healthy life choices, such as training and technical assistance to child care providers to promote exercise and nutrition best-practices and the advantages of breastfeeding.
The sum appropriated shall be expended by the department of health for the purposes of this Act.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2050.
Health; Early Childhood; Task Force; Appropriation
Establishes a childhood obesity prevention task force. Appropriates funds to the department of health to support early childhood development, including the collection of obesity data, childhood obesity awareness, and promotion of best practices to improve healthy life choices. Effective July 1, 2050. (SB2778 HD1)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.