HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TWENTY-SIXTH LEGISLATURE, 2011
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. The legislature finds that the University of Hawaii is accountable to the legislature and to the people of the State of Hawaii for providing a public higher education system designed to meet the needs of the citizens of the State, and for using its funds in a manner that is consistent with its goals and understandable to the legislature and to the public. The legislature acknowledges that the University of Hawaii has adopted strategic goals which are linked to performance outcomes that are measurable and that indicate the extent to which the University of Hawaii and its campuses have achieved these goals. Furthermore, the University of Hawaii has proposed an outcomes funding model directly tied to strategic indicators.
The purpose of this Act is to, among other things:
(1) Repeal the current statutory provisions relating to benchmark reporting in favor of higher education planning;
(2) Require the University of Hawaii Board of Regents to recommend amendments to the priority guidelines for quality education under section 226-107, Hawaii Revised Statutes, based on a periodic review of state needs related to higher education;
(3) Require the University of Hawaii Board of Regents to develop a functional plan that will further define and implement these higher educational goals by identifying outcomes and indicators; and
(4) Require the University of Hawaii to monitor and report biennially on its progress toward achieving performance outcomes in a manner that is transparent and clearly linked to state higher education needs as defined in section 226-107, Hawaii Revised Statutes.
SECTION 2. Section 304A-2001, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:
Benchmarks; annual budget requests; biennial reports.] Higher education
planning; biennial report. (a) The board of regents shall [ adopt benchmarks
to expand and develop the university to become a statewide campus that provides
Hawaii with a higher education system] periodically review and recommend
to the legislature amendments to the priority guidelines for quality education
under section 226-107.
(b) The board of regents shall develop a
functional plan pursuant to section 226-55 that includes strategic goals,
outcomes, and performance indicators designed to meet the [
needs [ and demands] of the citizens of the State and capitalize on the
university's unique resources and [ location] opportunities to
become [ an international] a foremost educational, research, and
service center of learning to be known [ both] in the United
States and throughout the Pacific and Asian countries. The [ benchmarks]
functional plan shall include but not be limited to:
(1) Expanding access to educational opportunity throughout the State;
(2) Striving for excellence in undergraduate education;
(3) Requiring the university to continue to gain prominence in research and distance learning;
(4) Revitalizing services to the State;
(5) Enhancing the international role of the university; and
(6) Maintaining diversity by clarifying campus missions and coordinating campus plans.
(c) The university shall periodically review its strategic goals and outcomes and the public higher education needs of the State.
(b)] (d) The board of regents
shall apply [ these benchmarks] the university's functional plan,
including strategic goals and outcomes in the development of their [ annual]
budget request to the legislature [ and adoption of tuition schedules. (c) The university shall conduct a periodic
review of all instruction, organized research, public service, academic support,
student services, and institutional support programs at each campus to
determine whether the programs are operating for the purposes originally
established and not inconsistent with the benchmarks adopted pursuant to
(e) The university shall submit a biennium
of its findings] on the functional plan, including strategic
outcomes and performance measures to the legislature no later than twenty
days prior to the convening of the [ legislature] regular session
in the second year of each fiscal biennium."
SECTION 3. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 4. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.
University of Hawaii; System Benchmarks
Requires the University of Hawaii Board of Regents to periodically review the priority guidelines for quality education and recommend amendments to the Legislature, develop a functional plan that includes strategic goals, outcomes, and performance indicators, and report biennially to the Legislature. (HB1326 HD2)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.