STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1399
RE: H.C.R. No. 225
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2011
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Hawaiian Affairs and Housing, to which was referred H.C.R. No. 225 entitled:
"HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE OFFICE OF HAWAIIAN AFFAIRS TO STUDY THE FEASIBILITY OF ESTABLISHING KANAKA VILLAGES FOR HOMELESS NATIVE HAWAIIANS,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this concurrent resolution is to help address the growing problem of homelessness in Hawaii by:
(1) Requesting the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) to study the feasibility of establishing kanaka villages, as described in House Bill No. 1489, House Draft 2 (2011), in which homeless Native Hawaiians can live in tents and subsist off the land using traditional Hawaiian methods of sustainability;
(2) Requesting OHA, as part of its study, to:
(A) Consult with the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands (DHHL) and the Hawaii Public Housing Authority (HPHA); and
(B) Identify appropriate areas on DHHL property that can be used for kanaka villages;
(3) Requesting OHA to submit to the Legislature a report of its findings and recommendations, including any proposed legislation, no later than 20 days prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2012.
Several concerned individuals supported this measure. DHHL, OHA, and a concerned individual offered comments.
Your Committees have amended this concurrent resolution by:
(1) Changing its title to read: "REQUESTING THE GOVERNOR'S COORDINATOR ON HOMELESSNESS TO STUDY THE FEASIBILITY OF ESTABLISHING KANAKA VILLAGES FOR HOMELESS NATIVE HAWAIIANS";
(2) Requesting the Governor's Coordinator on Homelessness, rather than OHA, to study the feasibility of establishing kanaka villages, consult with DHHL and HPHA, identify appropriate areas on DHHL property that can be used for kanaka villages, and submit a report to the Legislature; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Hawaiian Affairs and Housing that are attached to this report, your Committees concur with the intent and purpose of H.C.R. No. 225, as amended herein, and recommend that it be referred to the Committee on Finance, in the form attached hereto as H.C.R. No. 225, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Hawaiian Affairs and Housing,
RIDA T.R. CABANILLA, Chair
FAYE HANOHANO, Chair