STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1406
RE: H.C.R. No. 100
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2011
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources, to which was referred H.C.R. No. 100 entitled:
"HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE HAWAII COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY TO REPORT TO THE LEGISLATURE ON THE FEASIBILITY OF CONSTRUCTING A MOTORSPORTS CENTER ON THE ISLAND OF OAHU,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this concurrent resolution is to request that the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA) collaborate with the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) to prepare a report for the Legislature regarding the feasibility of constructing a motorsport center on Oahu, similar to the Hawaii Raceway Park. This concurrent resolution further requests that the report consider:
(1) The feedlot on Kalaeloa Boulevard as a potential site for a motorsport center; and
(2) The ways in which a motorsports center may serve as a source of revenue for the State.
The Oahu Pro Gas Association, and many concerned individuals testified in support of this measure. The Kalaeloa Raceway Park opposed this concurrent resolution. DLNR and HCDA provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this concurrent resolution by:
(1) Amending its title to read: "ENCOURAGING THE DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES AND HAWAII COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY TO LOCATE LAND SUITABLE TO CONSTRUCT A MOTORSPORTS CENTER ON THE ISLAND OF OAHU";
(2) Replacing the feed lot on Kalaeloa Boulevard with Parcel 9 for HCDA to consideration as a potential site for a motorsports center;
(3) No longer requesting the HCDA to submit a report to the Legislature;
(4) Deleting language stating there has not been a paved racing facility on Oahu since 2006;
(5) Removing the Governor and the Mayor of the City and County of Honolulu from the list of those receiving certified copies of this concurrent resolution; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.C.R. No. 100, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.C.R. No. 100, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources,
JERRY L. CHANG, Chair