STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1161
RE: H.B. No. 492
Honorable Shan S. Tsutsui
President of the Senate
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2011
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 492, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PUBLIC SAFETY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to protect the public safety and security by ensuring that certain operational deficiencies of the Sheriff Division of the Department of Public Safety are corrected effectively and efficiently.
Your Committee received comments in support of this measure from Robin Nagamine, Lieutenant, Sheriff Division, Department of Public Safety; Lt. Michael Oakland, Commander, Airport Patrol Section, Sheriff Division, Department of Public Safety; Nora A. Nomura, Deputy Executive Director, Hawaii Government Employees Association; and six individuals.
Your Committee finds that this measure addresses the operational deficiencies of the Sheriff Division identified by Auditor Report No. 10-06, "Audit of the Department of Public Safety, Sheriff Division". Specifically, this measure requires the Department of Public Safety to develop and implement a comprehensive strategic plan that shall, among other things:
(1) Pursue accreditation for the Sheriff Division from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc.;
(2) Correct inefficiencies in the warrant process by reducing the backlog of warrants to be served, improving the Sheriff Division's radio system, and relocating the receiving desk from Halawa Correctional Facility; and
(3) Address departmental leadership concerns by developing and implementing internal controls in accordance with the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission's internal control-integrated framework.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2117, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 492, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 492, H.D. 2, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DAVID Y. IGE, Chair