STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2880
RE: S.C.R. No. 58
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, Agriculture, and Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred S.C.R. No. 58 entitled:
"SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION APPROVING THE FEE SIMPLE SALE OF A 9.105 ACRE VACANT PARCEL IN VILLAGE 8, THE VILLAGES OF KAPOLEI, KAPOLEI, HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to approve the fee simple sale of a 9.105 acre vacant parcel in Village 8 of the Villages of Kapolei in Kapolei, Oahu.
Testimony in support of the measure was submitted by one state agency. One state agency submitted comments. Written testimony presented to the Committee may be reviewed on the Legislature's website.
Your Committee finds that the fee simple sale of this parcel to a developer will expedite completion of the Villages of Kapolei master plan by providing land for additional affordable housing. This vacant parcel is 9.105 acres and is zoned for residential and mixed use development. The Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation hopes to select a developer to design, plan, and develop this parcel to include single-family residences that are compatible with the existing residential character of the area. If the sale is approved by the Legislature, the Corporation will use the Request for Proposals procurement method to select a purchaser.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adding more information regarding the proposed development of the parcel;
(2) Including a provision specifying that a copy of the measure was submitted to the Office of Hawaiian Affairs and the date of the submission, in accordance with section 171-64.7, Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(3) Inserting a provision to urge the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation to offer the Office of Hawaiian Affairs a right of first refusal to purchase the parcel within thirty days;
(4) Requiring that a certified copy of the Concurrent Resolution be transmitted to the Administrator of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive changes for the purpose of style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, Agriculture, and Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of S.C.R. No. 58, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means, in the form attached hereto as S.C.R. No. 58, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, Agriculture, and Hawaiian Affairs,
CLAYTON HEE, Chair