STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1272
RE: S.B. No. 636
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources, to which was referred S.B. No. 636, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to make minor housekeeping amendments to sections 502-33 and 502-41, Hawaii Revised Statutes, relating to the recording of documents with the Bureau of Conveyances.
The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) supported this bill.
Your Committee has amended this bill by replacing its contents with those of H.B. No. 980, H.D. 2, to ensure that DLNR has the necessary tools and funding to repair and maintain the State's recreational facilities for the enjoyment of its residents and visitors. As amended this bill:
(1) Creates a Recreational Renaissance Special Fund (Fund) to be used to implement DLNR's Recreational Renaissance Plan;
(2) Authorizes small boat harbor moorage fees and tariffs to be set by appraisal, and fees to be increased to better support ongoing operations and maintenance at boat harbors and parks;
(3) Authorizes the development of Keehi Lagoon as a long-term source of revenue to support DLNR park and conservation activities;
(4) Authorizes a limited number of commercial vessels to be moored at the Ala Wai and Keehi Boat Harbors;
(5) Allows the assessment of utility and common area maintenance fees in small boat harbors while including utility and common area maintenance fees in the formula to determine the amount of fees for commercial vessels moored at small boat harbors;
(6) Provides that if projects paid for under the appropriations made under Act 118, Session Laws of Hawaii 2006, to cover the costs of recovery and remediation efforts due to the storms in February and March 2006, become eligible for federal reimbursement, those reimbursements are to be paid into the Fund;
(7) Authorizes improvements to specific water- and land-based recreational facilities;
(8) Appropriates funds out of the fund to implement the purposes of the Fund; and
(9) Takes effect on July 1, 2020.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 636, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 636, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources,
KEN ITO, Chair