STAND. COM. REP. NO. 873-10
RE: S.B. No. 2745
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred S.B. No. 2745, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to update the Uniform Controlled Substances Act by, among other things:
(1) Restoring the emergency scheduling of the Schedule I controlled substance Salvia divinorum and its constituent Salvinorin A as a hallucinogenic substance;
(2) Modifying the show cause process and including therein the denial of an application for registration; and
(3) Authorizing the imposition of administrative fines where a person subject to the requirements of the Controlled Substance Electronic Accountability Prescription System intentionally or knowingly fails to transmit required information, and adding thereto a request from the designated state agency for data correction.
The Department of Public Safety testified in support of this bill. The Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii opposed this measure. Walgreens provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for consistency, clarity, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2745, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2745, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair