STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1186-10
RE: S.B. No. 2611
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2611, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO VITAL STATISTICS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to ensure that real property tax exemptions are only taken by persons entitled to them by amending the law requiring the Department of Health (DOH) to submit a list of deaths of citizens of voting age or over to the county clerks, to require that:
(1) The list include the last four digits of the deceased's social security number, date of birth, date of death, and last known address;
(2) The information also be provided to the county real property assessment division; and
(3) The information be provided at no charge.
The County of Hawaii Finance Department supported this bill. DOH, Department of Budget and Finance, and County of Kauai Department of Finance opposed this measure. The Office of the County Clerk of the Counties of Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii; County of Maui Real Property Tax Division; Department of Budget and Fiscal Services; and City Clerk of the City and County of Honolulu provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by deleting its contents and replacing it with language that allows:
(1) The fee for a verification of a vital statistics record given in lieu of a certified copy to be less than one half of the fee for the first certified copy of the certificate containing the vital statistic; and
(2) Money in the Vital Statistics Improvement Special Fund to be used to assist in offsetting the cost of daily operations of the system of vital statistics.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2611, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2611, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair