STAND. COM. REP. NO. 887-10
RE: S.B. No. 2589
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 2589, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CHARTER SCHOOLS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to improve charter school administration and operations by, among other things:
(1) Requiring the Department of Education (DOE) to consider making available vacant school facilities or portions of those facilities for use by charter schools;
(2) Requiring the Charter School Review Panel (Panel) to determine a clear process with rigorous criteria for the reauthorization of charter schools;
(3) Changing the charter school funding formula and other provisions relating to charter school finances to promote equitable funding for charter school students; and
(4) Repealing the cap on the number of charter schools.
The Office of Hawaiian Affairs, a member of the Panel, and a concerned individual testified in support of this bill. DOE, Hawaii Charter Schools Network, Hawaii Technology Academy, and a concerned individual supported this measure with amendments. CSAO, Hookakoo Corporation, and Kamehameha Schools supported the intent of this bill. A concerned individual opposed this measure. The Governor's Administration, Department of Budget and Finance, Kanu o ka Aina New Century Public Charter School, and a concerned individual offered comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Deleting all provisions except those relating to facilities for charter schools; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2589, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2589, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
ROY TAKUMI, Chair