STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1042-10
RE: S.B. No. 2449
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 2449 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO DRIVER LICENSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to make permanent the statutory requirements for provisional driver's licenses for persons who are at least 16 and under 18 years of age, including, among other things, conditions under which:
(1) A provisional licensee may transport passengers under the age of 18;
(2) The provisional licensee must be accompanied in the vehicle by a parent or guardian who is a licensed driver; and
(3) The provisional licensee may drive to and from a place of employment or school-authorized activity without being accompanied by a parent or guardian who is a licensed driver.
The Department of Transportation, Department of Health, City and County of Honolulu, State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, and Mothers Against Drunk Driving HAWAII testified in support of this bill. Several concerned individuals supported this measure with amendments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Adding a provision that allows a provisional licensee to be issued a driver's license upon turning 18 years of age, regardless of whether the provisional licensee has held the provisional driver's license for six months; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2449, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2449, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
JON RIKI KARAMATSU, Chair