STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1230-10
RE: S.B. No. 2231
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2231, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ELECTRIC VEHICLES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to support the deployment of electric vehicles and the infrastructure for such vehicles in Hawaii by:
(1) Exempting the sale or lease of electric vehicles and electric vehicle charging stations from general excise tax for the period starting July 1, 2010, to January 1, 2015; and
(2) Preventing multi-family residential dwelling and townhouse associations from prohibiting the installation or use of electric vehicle charging systems.
Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc.; Maui Electric Company, Ltd.; Hawaii Electric Light Company, Inc.; and the Blue Planet Foundation provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Deleting the purpose section;
(2) Deleting the provision for exemption of sale or lease of electric vehicles and electric vehicle charging stations from general excise tax from July 1, 2010, to January 1, 2015;
(3) Deleting the definitions of "electric vehicle," "electric vehicle charge point," and "electric vehicle charging system";
(4) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for consistency, clarity, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2231, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2231, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair