STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1137-10
RE: S.B. No. 107
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 107, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ADMINISTRATIVE REVOCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to improve the overall efficiency of the Administrative Driver's License Revocation Office by allowing the Administrative Director of the Courts to permit administrative license revocation hearings to be held:
(1) With the consent of the respondent, in a county other than the county of arrest; and
(2) By telephonic, video, or other electronic means.
The Judiciary testified in support of this bill with amendments. The Office of the Public Defender opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Limiting the alternative means to hold a hearing to video with the consent of the respondent;
(2) Changing the effective date to December 21, 2058, to encourage further discussion;
(3) Repealing the provisions of this bill on January 1, 2012; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 107, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 107, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
JON RIKI KARAMATSU, Chair