STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1273-10
RE: H.C.R. No. 50
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Legislative Management, to which was referred H.C.R. No. 50, H.D. 1, entitled:
"HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING A ONE-DAY SUMMIT FOR THE HEALING AND CREATION OF POSITIVE CHANGE FOR THE STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION DIVISION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this concurrent resolution is to begin to address the many concerns regarding the operations of the State Historic Preservation Division (SHPD) of the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR). This measure requests the convening of a one-day summit for the healing and creation of positive change for SHPD.
DLNR testified in support of this measure with amendments.
Your Committee has amended this concurrent resolution by:
(1) Deleting references to the summit being a one-day event by, among other things, changing the title of this concurrent resolution to read, "REQUESTING A SUMMIT FOR THE HEALING AND CREATION OF POSITIVE CHANGE FOR THE STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION DIVISION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES";
(2) Charging SHPD to convene the summit;
(3) Removing individuals from the list of participants and allowing SHPD to expand the list of invited organizations;
(4) Specifying that the summit be open to the general public and that the proceedings as well as work products be subject to the requirements of Hawaii's sunshine law (chapter 92, Hawaii Revised Statutes);
(5) Requesting SHPD to submit a report on the completed summit by January 15, 2011, as well as a summary of its progress in meeting the National Park Service's (NPS) mandated corrective actions; and in the event that a summit does not take place, requesting that SHPD submit a status report on its efforts to plan a summit as well as a summary of its progress in meeting NPS's mandated corrective actions no later than twenty days prior to the convening of the regular session of 2011; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Legislative Management that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.C.R. No. 50, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends its adoption in the form attached hereto as H.C.R. No. 50, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Legislative Management,
JAMES KUNANE TOKIOKA, Chair