STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1071-10
RE: H.C.R. No. 50
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources, to which was referred H.C.R. No. 50 entitled:
"HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE AUDITOR TO CONDUCT A MANAGEMENT AUDIT OF THE STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION DIVISION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this concurrent resolution is to request the State Auditor to conduct a management audit of the State Historic Preservation Division (SHPD) of the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR), specifically addressing, among other things, the following issues:
(1) SHPD's relationship with the burial councils and failure to properly document, reinter, and preserve historic artifacts;
(2) The current status of the geographic information system and its management;
(3) Qualifications of the Division Administrator and SHPD's organizational structure;
(4) Compliance with the Federal Historic Preservation Grant Program and consultation responsibilities under Section 6 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, as amended; and
(5) Compliance with the project review process under Chapter 6E, Hawaii Revised Statutes.
The Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Kanaka Council Moku O Keawe, Koolaupoko Hawaiian Civic Club, and several concerned individuals testified in support of this concurrent resolution. DLNR provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this concurrent resolution by:
(1) Inserting information on the federal National Park Service's final report indicating SHPD's deficiencies in certain federal program areas, and allowing SHPD two years to comply with a corrective plan to prevent the suspension of National Park Service's (NPS's) annual federal grant which comprises half of SHPD's budget;
(2) Replacing the request for an audit of SHPD with a one-day summit to heal and create positive change for SHPD, including making recommendations for legislation that will ensure SHPD is complying with its mission, given SHPD's brief remaining time under the current administration, to allow SHPD to focus on compliance with NPS' corrective plan and prevent the disruption of SHPD's current responsibilities;
(3) Changing the title to read, "REQUESTING A ONE-DAY SUMMIT FOR THE HEALING AND CREATION OF POSITIVE CHANGE FOR THE STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION DIVISION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES"; and
(4) Requesting that representatives from the following agencies and groups, and individuals participate in the one-day summit:
(a) The Office of Hawaiian Affairs;
(b) The Administrator of SHPD;
(c) Liveable Hawaii Kai Hui;
(d) Hale Mua;
(e) The Island Burial Councils;
(f) Friends of SHPD;
(g) Historic Hawaii Foundation
(h) Kahu O Kahiko;
(I) Society for Hawaiian Archaeology;
(J) Native Hawaiian Legal Corporation;
(K) Kaleo Paik;
(L) Lauren Morawski; and
(M) Chris Monahan.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.C.R. No. 50, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Legislative Management in the form attached hereto as H.C.R. No. 50, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Ocean Resources,
KEN ITO, Chair