STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1073-10
RE: H.C.R. No. 288
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection, to which was referred H.C.R. No. 288 entitled:
"HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE FORMATION OF A WORKING GROUP TO DEVELOP A STRATEGY TO ATTRACT AND RETAIN LOCAL ENERGY SERVICE COMPANIES TO PERFORM WORK ON STATE CONTRACTS"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to request the Department of Accounting and General Services, the Administrator of the State Procurement Office, the University of Hawaii Procurement Institute, the High Technology Development Corporation, and other interested parties to form a working group to develop a strategy to attract and retain local energy service companies to perform work on state contracts.
One business testified in support of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the title to: "REQUESTING THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII PROCUREMENT INSTITUTE TO REVIEW THE POLICIES AND REQUIREMENTS IN THE AWARDING OF STATE ENERGY SERVICE CONTRACTS";
(2) Changing the purpose paragraph to state that "the University of Hawaii procurement Institute is requested to review and if necessary convene a working group to review the pre-qualification criteria for "preferred vendor" status and request proposals used to award contracts for work on state contracts performed by energy service providers. The working group may consist of the Department of Accounting and General Services, the Administrator of the State Procurement Office, the High Technology Development Corporation and other interested and affected parties";
(3) Deleting the request that the working group's assessment examine whether the criteria unfairly limits local vendors from competing for state contracts;
(4) Deleting the request that the working group's assessment develop procurement policies that will provide more benefit for local companies; and
(5) Amending the recipients by deleting the Hawaii District Director of the Small Business Administration and the President of the Chamber of Commerce Hawaii.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.C.R. No. 288, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.C.R. No. 288, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection,
HERMINA MORITA, Chair