STAND. COM. REP. NO. 785
RE: H.B. No. 739
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 739, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE TO NEEDY FAMILIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to:
(1) Direct the allocation of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) funds for fiscal years 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 to provide for:
(A) The provision of monthly cash benefits;
(B) Employment training programs;
(C) Teenage pregnancy education programs;
(D) The purchase of Child Welfare Service contracts; and
(E) Administrative and information systems costs associated with the TANF program; and
(2) Transfer a portion of TANF funds to Social Services Block Grant programs and Child Care Development Fund.
The Office of Youth Services, Goodwill Industries of Hawaii, Inc., Child & Family Service, and a concerned individual supported this bill. The Department of Human Services provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Removing the appropriation amounts;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 739, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 739, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair