STAND. COM. REP. NO. 905
RE: H.B. No. 317
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 317 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO MOBILE MEDICAL CARE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to respond to the medical needs of those affected by vog on the island of Hawaii by:
(1) Requiring the Kona Community Hospital to establish a Mobile Medical Van Program to provide basic medical clinical services to South Kona, Kaś, and upper Puna areas of the County of Hawaii; and
(2) Appropriating $500,000 from federal Homeland Security Grant Program funds to purchase a mobile medical van, and for planning and equipment to provide medical care services.
The Hawaii Medical Service Association testified in support of this bill. The Department of Health and Department of Land and Natural Resources testified in opposition to this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing the amount of the appropriation from federal Homeland Security Grant Program funds to purchase a mobile medical van, and for planning and equipment to provide medical care services from $500,000 to an unspecified amount;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 317, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 317, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair