STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2114
RE: H.B. No. 2162
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2010
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 2162, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT MAKING APPROPRIATIONS TO PROVIDE FOR THE EXPENSES OF THE LEGISLATURE, THE AUDITOR, THE LEGISLATIVE REFERENCE BUREAU, AND THE OMBUDSMAN,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to provide for the expenses of the Legislature, the Auditor, the Legislative Reference Bureau, the Hawaii State Ethics Commission, and the Office of the Ombudsman.
Considering the economic crisis facing the State, your Committee concurs with the reductions made in the House of Representatives to the following appropriations:
(1) Reducing the appropriation for the Senate from $8,025,681 to $7,377,244;
(2) Reducing the appropriation for the House of Representatives from $11,403,163 to $10,481,787;
(3) Reducing the appropriation for the Office of the Auditor from $2,619,685 to $2,408,013;
(4) Reducing the appropriation for the Legislative Reference Bureau from $3,113,126 to $2,861,633; and
(5) Reducing the appropriation for the Office of the Ombudsman from $1,060,728 to $998,342.
Your Committee has amended the bill by further reducing the appropriation to the Hawaii State Ethics Commission from $813,770 to $813,170. This amount represents the correct appropriation as testified to by the Ethics Commission.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Office of the Auditor, the Legislative Reference Bureau, the Hawaii State Ethics Commission, and the Ombudsman. Written testimony presented to the Committee may be reviewed on the Legislature's website.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2162, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2162, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONNA MERCADO KIM, Chair