STAND. COM. REP. NO. 924
RE: H.B. No. 1712
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1712, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO FISHING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to protect the state's marine resources by requiring the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) to:
(1) Gather and use all available data to support the adoption of any rules to regulate the taking of uhu, weke/moana kali, and ulua/papio;
(2) Develop a monitoring and evaluation program to determine the effects of any rules adopted; and
(3) Develop a monitoring and evaluation program to determine the effects that runoff, sedimentation, pollution, lack or profusion of fresh water intrusion into the marine ecosystem, and the introduction of invasive species have on the ecosystem that affects the habitat and forage of uhu, weke/moana kali, and ulua/papio.
Hawaii Nearshore Fishermen and several concerned individuals testified in support of this bill. DLNR and a concerned individual opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1712, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1712, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair