STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1405
RE: S.C.R. No. 79
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred S.C.R. No. 79 entitled:
"SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII BOARD OF REGENTS TO DEVELOP POLICIES AND PROCEDURES TO AUCTION THE NAMING RIGHTS FOR BUILDINGS AND FACILITIES ON THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII – WEST OAHU CAMPUS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is request the University of Hawaii Board of Regents to:
(1) Develop policies and procedures to auction the naming rights for buildings and facilities on the University of Hawaii – West Oahu campus; and
(2) Submit a report of its findings and recommendations to the 2010 Legislature.
The University of Hawaii Professional Assembly and one individual submitted testimony in opposition to the measure. Written testimony presented to the Committee may be reviewed on the Legislature's website.
Your Committee finds that while the proposal in this measure would benefit from consideration, it may be somewhat premature to develop policies and procedures to auction naming rights for campus buildings and facilities. Your Committee believes it would be more appropriate to consider the auction of naming rights as part of a larger fundraising strategy, which would explore a range of options to support the University of Hawaii – West Oahu campus.
Your Committee has amended this measure accordingly, by:
(1) Amending the title to read: URGING THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII BOARD OF REGENTS TO CONSIDER A STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT PLAN TO EXPLORE FUNDRAISING OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII – WEST OAHU CAMPUS;
(2) Deleting and replacing the first two BE IT RESOLVED clauses with a strategic development plan to include near- and long-term capital resources necessary for development and maintenance of planned West Oahu campus buildings and facilities; identified sources of public and private funding; and alternative sources of funds, such as through the auction of naming rights, the development of affordable workforce housing in concert with development of the West Oahu campus, and other fundraising options as deemed appropriate; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of S.C.R. No. 79, as amended herein, and recommends its adoption in the form attached hereto as S.C.R. No. 79, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
JILL TOKUDA, Chair