STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1679
RE: S.B. No. 912
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 912, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PERMANENCY HEARINGS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to ensure compliance with federal Title IV-E permanency hearing requirements by:
(1) Requiring that a permanency hearing be held within 12 months of a child's initial date of entry into out-of-home care or within 30 days of a judicial determination that a child is an abandoned infant or that aggravated circumstances are present and reasonable efforts to reunify a child and family are not required;
(2) Requiring that the status of the child be reviewed at least every 12 months thereafter to determine whether the child is receiving appropriate services, that case plans are being properly implemented, and that plans are made that will lead to permanent placement; and
(3) Delineating permanency hearing procedures.
The Department of Human Services supported this bill. The Judiciary and a concerned individual opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 912, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 912, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair