STAND. COM. REP. NO. 704
RE: S.B. No. 537
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 537, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AEROSPACE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to establish an Aerospace Advisory Committee to assist the Legislature and state agencies in development of the aerospace industry in the State.
This measure establishes the Aerospace Advisory Committee within the Office of Aerospace Development of the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism for administrative purposes and specifies the committee's membership. The Committee's purpose is to advise and assist in the aerospace development by:
(1) Tracking state, national, and global trends and priorities in aerospace development;
(2) Assisting in identifying and promoting opportunities to expand and diversify aerospace development and aerospace-related industries in this State;
(3) Supporting the Office of Aerospace Development's effort in networking with national and international aerospace agencies, institutions, and organizations to develop public-private partnerships;
(4) Recommending innovative scientific, educational, and economic strategies and government and education policies; and
(5) Appointing temporary working groups to assist the office of aerospace development in research and analysis activities.
Your Committee received one written comment on this measure. The written comment may be reviewed on the Legislature's website.
Your Committee finds that the establishment of an aerospace advisory committee will help to facilitate the growth and development of the aerospace industry in Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion and by making technical nonsubstantive amendments for the purpose of clarity.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 537, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 537, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONNA MERCADO KIM, Chair