STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1646
RE: S.B. No. 537
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 537, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AEROSPACE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to better monitor, assess, and promote aerospace development in the state by establishing an Aerospace Advisory Committee that, among other things, will:
(1) Track trends and priorities in aerospace development;
(2) Identify, promote, and recommend opportunities, strategies, and policies to expand and diversify aerospace development and aerospace-related industries in Hawaii;
(3) Support networking with national and international aerospace agencies, institutions, and organizations to develop public-private partnerships; and
(4) Appoint temporary working groups to assist the Office of Aerospace Development in research and analysis to complete reports to the Legislature and the Governor.
Enterprise Honolulu, the Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems, and two concerned individuals supported this bill. The Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing its effective date from July 1, 2112, to upon its approval; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 537, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 537, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair