STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1657
RE: S.B. No. 43
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 43, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PHYSICIAN WORKFORCE ASSESSMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to prevent or minimize physician shortages and facilitate efforts to assess Hawaii's physician workforce on an ongoing-basis by:
(1) Establishing the John A. Burns School of Medicine Special Fund (Special Fund) to provide funding for the School's activities relating to physician workforce assessment and planning within Hawaii;
(2) Requiring the assessment of a fee upon renewal of license by a physician or surgeon, with proceeds to be deposited into the Special Fund;
(3) Appropriating funds to implement statewide physician workforce assessment and planning; and
(4) Requiring the John A. Burns School of Medicine to submit reports detailing its assessment of the physician workforce to the Legislature, State Health Planning and Development Agency, and the Hawaii Medical Board.
Hawaii State Rural Health Association, Hawaii Pacific Health, Hawaii Association for Justice, and a concerned individual supported this bill. The Department of Budget and Finance and Hawaii Medical Association opposed this bill. AARP submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2020, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for style, clarity, and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 43, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 43, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
MARCUS R. OSHIRO, Chair