STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1045
RE: S.B. No. 43
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred S.B. No. 43, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PHYSICIAN WORKFORCE ASSESSMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this bill is to ensure a consistent assessment of the physician workforce in Hawaii by:
(1) Establishing the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) Special Fund (Special Fund) to support JABSOM in work related to physician workforce assessment and planning in Hawaii;
(2) Assessing a $60 licensure renewal for physicians that will be deposited into the Special Fund; and
(3) Requiring JABSOM to report to the Legislature on an annual and biannual basis.
The Hawaii Medical Service Association, Hawaii Association for Justice, and a concerned individual supported this bill. AARP supported the intent of this measure. The Department of Budget and Finance and the Hawaii Medical Association opposed this bill.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Setting the physician workforce fee at an unspecified amount; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive changes for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 43, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 43, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committees on Higher Education and Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair