STAND. COM. REP. NO. 659
RE: S.B. No. 415
Honorable Colleen Hanabusa
President of the Senate
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 415, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOME CARE AGENCIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to require the licensure of home care agencies.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires home care agencies to be licensed by the Department of Health beginning July 1, 2010, and requires the Department of Health to adopt rules for licensure;
(2) Defines "home care agency" and "home care services"; and
(3) Exempts service provider agencies under contract with the City and County of Honolulu Elderly Affairs Division from the licensing requirement.
Your Committee received four written comments on this measure. Copies of written comments submitted are available for review on the Legislature's website.
Your Committee finds that home care agencies provide valuable home care services, such as personal care, homemaker assistance, and respite care, to an increasing segment of Hawaii's residents. Your Committee believes that the rising demand for home care services makes it necessary to license agencies that provide these services to ensure that minimum standards of quality, safety, and responsibility are met. Accordingly, your Committee finds that requiring the licensure of home care agencies in the State will help ensure the health, safety, and welfare of consumers.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on this measure; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 415, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 415, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONNA MERCADO KIM, Chair