STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1352
RE: H.C.R. No. 13
Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Fifth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2009
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Health and Human Services, to which was referred H.C.R. No. 13 entitled:
"HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING A STUDY OF VARIOUS UNRESOLVED ISSUES RELATING TO AGING,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this concurrent resolution is to support aging in place for our rapidly increasing senior population by requesting the Executive Office on Aging and the Center on Aging at the University of Hawaii at Manoa to continue their research and analyses to:
(1) Develop a cash and counseling model and apply for related grants;
(2) Determine how best to compensate caregivers for respite services;
(3) Determine best practices for state agencies to collaborate and coordinate with area agencies on aging and local community service providers (including those for the disabled community);
(4) Enhance funding from all sources for Medicaid and Medicare services, including removing or adjusting income limits and non-exempt asset limitations;
(5) Determine how best to accommodate language barriers;
(6) Determine how best to overcome access to long-term care services barriers; and
(7) Identify more funding sources for long-term care services.
The Office of Language Access and Policy Advisory Board on Elder Affairs supported this concurrent resolution. The Executive Office on Aging and University of Hawaii Center on Aging supported the intent of this measure.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Health and Human Services that are attached to this report, your Committees concur with the intent and purpose of H.C.R. No. 13 and recommend that it be referred to the Committee on Higher Education.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Health and Human Services,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair